As my gluten free weight loss journey continues, I have found some easy ways to cut portions, as well as carbs. One way to cut carbs and increase fiber and protein is to eat oatmeal for breakfast, instead of toast.
If you have heart disease, like my hubby, it’s important to manage your weight and your diet. In any case, exercise is essential.
Some easy ways to manage your portion sizes:
- Invest in a kitchen scale. If you want to eat, say, baked potato chips, you can weigh the number of grams per portion listed on the package, instead of trying to find 17 whole chips in a bag of broken ones.
- Use measuring spoons and cups to measure portions. Don’t “eyeball” it.
- If you are using mayonnaise, ketchup or another condiment, like salad dressing, cut the suggested portion size in half. In other words, if the label says 2 tablespoons of dressing is one serving, take one tablespoon.
- Eat a half sandwich instead of a whole one
- Use the universal “rule of thumb” for portion sizes.
- help reduce your portions by filling up on salads and fruit.
Some easy ways to eat healthier:
- Target one meal a day to make healthier choices. Have a salad instead of chips. Have a piece of fruit instead of cookies
- Don’t deprive yourself of your favorite foods. This is a recipe for failure. Just eat smaller portions.
- Look for ways to make your favorites healthier. Like this recipe for zucchini brownies.
- Have eggs for breakfast instead of toast and jelly. Eggs are delicious and really good for you
- Don’t cut out healthy fats-fat doesn’t make you fat, carbs make you fat.
- Don’t cut out carbs either, but aim for complex carbs
- Eat a piece of chocolate! It’s good for you in small amounts.
Now to eating more oatmeal. I came across this page of recipes for overnight oats. They all looked delicious, but when I saw chocolate I had to try them. You can leave out the yogurt and just add another 1/4 cup of milk.
Chocolate sunbutter overnight oats
Makes one large or two small servings
1/3 cup greek yogurt or dairy-free yogurt ( or additional 1/4 cup of milk)
1/2 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup unsweetened milk of choice
1 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flax meal
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sunbutter
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
0-2 tablespoons of maple syrup or honey
Whisk together ingredients in a small bowl. Pour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Chill at least four hours, or overnight.
The chia seeds make it really creamy. This is chocolatey and delicious. I will be trying the other recipes also.
What do you think? Let me know in the comments.