I’ve been wanting to make a gluten free carrot cake for some time. I just never got around to it until today. So with my trusty King Arthur recipe, I got out all of my ingredients, and spread them out over my incredibly small kitchen counter.
I had already measured out and mixed all of the dry ingredients and moved the bowl over to the counter on the other side of my stove. I had my old pyrex glass measuring cup at the front of the counter, and was just about to measure the grapeseed oil when the oil bottle tipped over, slid into my mixing bowl, and pushed my pyrex cup right onto the floor. The oil bottle broke my mixing bowl as well.
It shattered into about a million pieces. Luckily my husband was there to help with the cleanup. There was glass everywhere. It had skittered into my living room and under my utility room and pantry door. Big shards and glass dust. It took a good half hour with a broom, dustpan, and vacuum to get it up. Luckily, I did not get cut, and my cats were not in the vicinity. But what about my carrot cake?
I decided to go ahead with the recipe, thinking that I might be ok. Then my husband found some shards of glass in the sink, right next to where my shredded carrots were. And since the glass had literally flown into the air, and had vaporized, I realized that it just wouldn’t be safe to eat this cake, so I baked it and tossed it in the trash.
You do not want to eat glass dust. It might be microscopic enough to not be seen, but it will rip up your insides.
It was just not meant to be. I will probably bake another one next week. I wanted to do a video on how to make cream cheese frosting, but that will have to wait.
Oh well, better safe than sorry. I will be shopping for a new measuring cup, and a new bowl as well.