Best of gluten and dairy free for 2016

best-of-the-best

Since it’s almost New Year’s Eve, I thought I would do the typical “best of” compilation of my favorite recipes and products.  My picks are of course subjective.

Best Gluten-free Bread

I have tried many brands of gluten free bread, but Udi’s is my number one favorite.  I especially love their hamburger rolls and bagels.

Best Gluten- Free Baking Mix

My favorite baking mix is Betty Crocker gluten free Bisquick.  It is really versatile: you can make savory impossible pies, cakes and cookies with it.

Best Gluten-Free Flour

Bob’s Red Mill rice flour is great for thickening gravies and sauces without grit.  It makes a really good roux.  You can also bake with it.

Best Gluten-Free Flour Substitute

King Arthur Measure for Measure is hands down the best cup for cup substitute flour I have come across.

Best Gluten-Free Cookies

Enjoy life cookies are free of the top eight allergens, and are really, really delicious to boot.

Best Gluten-Free Pasta

Barilla and Ronzoni are a tie.  Tinkyada Lasagna noodles are great too.

Best Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix

Mina’s Gluten-Free mix made a pretty awesome chocolate cake.

Best Gluten-Free Snack

Beanfields bean chips are really delicious and good for you, too!

Best Dairy-Free Spread

Smart Balance tastes like butter, and it can be used in cooking and baking.

Best Dairy-Free Coconut Milk

Silk Unsweetened can be used in any recipe that calls for dairy milk.

These are just a few of my favorites.  What gluten and dairy free products do you love?

6 Comments Add yours

1. Jessica says:

What a great list. I use those products, too. Udi’s is consistently a good brand for me. I love Enjoy Life cookies- Snickerdoodles! Yum. I also like Glutino Lemon wafers. I haven’t used King Arthur’s flour yet, but want to, based off your recommendations. 🙂

1. glutenfreelady says:

Thanks Jessica. I like glutinous lemon wafers too!
      King Arthur flour is definitely my go to.

Liked by 1 person

1. Jessica says:

Oh, forgot one. I also love Bona Dea mixes. Outrageous Oat Cookies can also be made DF and make a nice bar- cookie, too. I spread as a bar in an 8×8 pan. So good.

2. glutenfreelady says:

I’ll have to look into those.

Liked by 1 person

3. Jessica says:

They have a website that shows their ingredients. I’ve been super impressed with the items I’ve tried. You know how in some GF products there’s a definite texture difference? Almost a grittiness in the flours? I didn’t notice that at all with this brand. 🙂

4. Jessica says:

PS those lemon wafers are sooo good. I can’t buy them very often because I can devour a box in no time! Ha!!