Since my husband and I changed our diet a few weeks back, I have noticed remarkable changes.
I am continuing to eat gluten free and dairy free-that has not changed. However, I am looking for healthier alternatives to packaged gluten free products. One disadvantage is that I have to now cook and bake more than before, as my husband can no longer rely on packaged meals. That is the tradeoff.
I still love Mac and Cheese! In fact, I made a meat loaf the other night and we both enjoyed Daiya dairy and gluten free Mac and Cheese. But instead of eating these things all the time, we are now eating them sparingly. I have baked some great blueberry muffins, and I have a recipe for banana bread that I am going to try out.
I recently found a recipe for overnight banana and peanut butter oats, from amuseyourbouche.com
The recipe is pretty straight forward:
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup milk (use vegan milk if necessary)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- I no longer have brain fog. Yes, I still had it after giving up gluten, but not as much. Now it’s gone.
- I have a lot more energy. I don’t feel tired all the time.
- My skin looks much better. I don’t have dark circles any more and my skin looks brighter
- My IBS has all but disappeared. No more bloating, constipation or diarrhea.
- My sweet tooth has lessened considerably. Fruit is now my go to dessert and it really is satisfying.
- I don’t miss junk food. I am surprised at that.
- I sleep better and I don’t wake up sluggish
- I don’t need as much caffeine
- I am losing weight without trying
- I am much happier
It will be really interesting now when we dine out. I have my gluten and dairy restrictions, and my husband has sodium and cholesterol restrictions. But, it might actually make things easier. Rather than agonizing over menu items and hidden gluten and dairy, it might be simpler to just order grilled chicken or salmon and veggies.
I would have never thought if you had asked me a year ago that I would be eating salad, veggies, fruit and delicious, healthy gluten and dairy free meals and desserts. It’s amazing that we have been given the chance to change for the better.