I did not take the part time job. Just the thought of going back to work in a call center gave me a panic attack. Oh well, more time for baking I say.
I have posted about my gluten free impossible easy apple pie before, but today, I am going to give you a step by step on how to make it, so you can satisfy that apple pie craving. This is my own take on the Betty crocker recipe. Instructions follow ingredients. My apologies, I did try to bold all of the instructions, but for some reason, the editor won’t let me. Ah, technology. If you have any questions, please contact me.
Gluten free impossible easy french apple pie
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
For the apples:
- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (3 medium)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Peel and core apples. Slice thinly. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and nutmeg, put aside.
Make the streusel first.
Grease a 9 or 10 in pie plate
Pour apples into pie plate
For the streusel:
2/3 cup gluten free bisquick
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons firm dairy free spread
Combine gluten free bisquick and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Blend together with a pastry blender to remove large lumps of sugar. Measure six tablespoons of dairy free spread and drop into bowl. Using pastry cutter, combine spread and sugar mixture until it resembles the size of peas. Once combined, put bowl into freezer to firm up dairy free spread.
Make the filling:
- 1/2 cup gluten free bisquick
- 1/2 granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbs dairy free spread, melted
- 3 large eggs
- In the same bowl in which you mixed the apples, melt dairy free spread in microwave, taking care it does not get too hot. Add the milk, then the eggs, whisking until combined. Add the gluten free bisquick, then the sugar. Mix until just combined-small lumps are ok. It will resemble pancake batter.
- Pour mixture as evenly as possible over apples in pie plate. Remove the streusel mixture from the freezer, and sprinkle evenly over entire surface.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 45-50 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Some crumbs are ok. Serve warm, or cool completely and refrigerate. Serve with cool whip. Please be advised: Cool whip now has milk and cream. Be careful if you are dairy intolerant!
- As you can see, I deconstructed the recipe. I wish this were the case all the time. It’s sometimes hard to track your eye to the right place, and you often miss an ingredient or instruction.